History of Shores Building
Built in 1911, the Shores building was originally home to the Shores-Mueller Co. The Shores-Mueller Co. sold products direct to consumers via catalogs. The company offered a range of products that were produced, packaged, and sold right from the Shores building in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
According to the Shores Catalogue and Cook Book, the company offered every product that consumers needed for both the home and farm including baking powder, spices, toilet articles, poultry remedies, and hog powders.
Today at Shores Event Center, you won’t find hog or baking powder but we are confident that this beautiful, historic venue will add some spice to your upcoming event and you will find bathrooms fully stocked with plenty of toilet articles.
In 2005, Tom Erger, Devonna Wood, and Mike Pitzen purchased the old Shores-Mueller Co. building and began renovation of what is now known as Shores Central Park. The entire building has been meticulously restored over the last several years and incorporated green building restoration efforts when possible including:
- High-efficiency insulated windows
- Four high-efficiency, gas-fired furnaces on each floor of the building
- Spiral duct-work which distributes cool and warm air evenly between the floors
- All wiring is new and high-efficiency electrical fixtures were used whenever possible
- Totally restored brick inside and out
- New roof with insulation to help seal the building
- Kept the corrugated concrete ceilings
- Exposed the poured concrete pillars